3 reasons why your Ecommerce store needs to be mobile optimized now!
If you’re one of the half of all website owners who hasn’t optimized your site for mobile users, you may have a lot of reasons as to why… like you haven’t made time, no extra budget, or always present “is the extra effort really worth it”
If so, then consider these three reasons why mobile MUST become a part of your business strategy, or risk being left in the dust faster than it takes a surfer to hit the “end” button
The holiday spirit is in the air.
Yes, Christmas may FEEL like a long ways away, but in reality, if you’ve not started planning your Christmas marketing efforts, you’re already behind… especially when it comes to mobile strategy.
First, consider that last year 25% of online Black Friday sales were done from mobile devices, with 88% of those shopping trips done from an iPad.
Second, even when shoppers were in the store, Pew Research found that more than 60% of mobile users still used their phones to call someone for advice about a purchase, look up reviews, or check prices.
So given this, start your mobile thought processes NOW. Start with what your site looks like. Your site should be built with responsive design – the ability to adapt to the device it’s being viewed on.
Next, consider how or where your site is being accessed. If your customer is in your busy store, they don’t want to wade through pages of product information. Consider what they want in order to make a buying decision.
You can also use this knowledge to your advantage. Consider targeting “showrooming” customers with a “buy it now” incentive to encourage them to buy while in the store. Think about offering mobile coupons targeted to searching customers.
2. Impulsivity also means Impatience
Smartphones play a role in 81% of all impulse purchases, with customers agreeing they are quicker to make buying decisions and more open to new options for their purchases. With their mobile device so handy – such an integral part of our lives – people are finding they are not just “checking out” new products – but buying them.
The implications for such immediacy – such access – is that you have to adjust your site for these impatient customers. Consider:
- 30% of customers abandon their carts if the checkout experience isn’t mobile friendly
- 57% of all mobile users will leave if they have to wait 3 seconds for a page to load.
- 41% will immediately go to a competitor’s site after a bad mobile experience
- 52% of tablet users prefer shopping on their tablets than their PCs; 2014 – 33% of all US buyers will have a tablet
In short: your page loads cost you money. The longer it takes your page to load, the more your percent in sales decrease. Sure – we all know that, right? But speed expectations are staggering: sales drop 1% for every MILLISECOND a visitor has to wait.
3. Mobile is where they are at.
The old Willie Sutton saying about robbing banks because that’s where the money is applies to mobile marketing too. Let’s face it: people are in love with their phones. Roughly 9 out of 10 adults have a mobile device with them at any point in time. But also consider this:
- With more than 800,000 smart phones activated daily, Google now projects there will soon be more smart phones on the internet than PCs.
- Emarketer.com says that when buyers are searching on their smart phone it’s because they’re in IMMEDIATE need for the product or service. And every single day, Google says that 57% of smartphone users search for local businesses on their device.
- 63% of tablet owners and a whopping 80% of smart phone users watch TV with their mobile devices – or what we’ve come to understand as multi-screening/multi-tasking.
How are you adapting your business to be more mobile friendly? Share your tips and tricks below.
Do you want to make your website mobile optimized? Submit a brief to Tweaky today and we’ll create a free quote for you.